« Half-a-terabyte Legos | Main | Hotel Dog is Happy to See You »

How to knit a sweater FOR A WEE PENGUIN

by C. Fernsebner, concerning the matter of Crafts, Penguins

Penguins_i_m1073247jpg

The Tasmanian Conservation Trust's Penguin Jumpers Project: "Over 15,000 jumpers were collected, which will be stored in Oil Spill Response Kits around Tasmania. In the case of a major oil spill, these jumpers will be used to help rehabilitate Little penguins (Eudyptula minor) that have been oil affected." (Via Chaos Theory and Extreme Craft.)

PENGUINS = CUTE
SWEATERS = CUTE
PENGUINS = TINY

By the substitution and transitive properties of adorableness,

PENGUINS + SWEATERS + TINY = CUTE X 3

Penguins_2

CUTE!!!! (factorial factorial factorial factorial)

November 29, 2005 | Permalink

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference How to knit a sweater FOR A WEE PENGUIN:

» What is Better Than Penguins and Knitted Things? from hyper-textual ontology
Knitted things for penguins!!!! Sorry, I know I voted for posts that use neurons, but c'mon - Penguins. In sweaters. It isn't as if I had a choice about posting this. Courtesy of Adorablog. Hi, Sushi!... [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 1, 2005 3:54:21 PM

» こんな事が起こりませんように… from 浪花娘。に恋しちゃった (・∀・)
萌え画像なんだけど、実はこれ、近くで原油流出事故があった時に、タスマニアペンギンを保護するためのセーターなんだって。 [Read More]

Tracked on Dec 3, 2005 2:38:06 PM

» PENGUINS + SWEATERS + TINY = CUTE X 3 from ISAO-net
ペンギンはcold childっていうとますます可愛いね [Read More]

Tracked on Jan 13, 2006 7:52:56 PM

Comments

I have been having a hell of a week, but these little penguins make it all worthwhile.

Maybe I will quit my job and GO KNIT LITTLE SWEATERS FOR LITTLE PENGUINS!!!

Posted by: unsinn at Nov 30, 2005 3:13:10 PM

OMG! Those penguins are too adorable! Hee. Too bad they have enough sweaters already.

Posted by: Rosemary at Dec 5, 2005 6:23:35 PM

You realize c|net picked this up and ran it without any trace of irony?

I'm assuming that it's a joke, since every picture looks completely fake.

Posted by: Darcy McGee at Dec 31, 2005 8:58:48 AM

These are wonderful and I have actually read an article in an English magazine a few years ago for sweaters for Penguins. How could that reader say they are fake photos? He has no heart.

Posted by: Frances Daghman at Dec 31, 2005 9:29:54 AM

Nature and MSNBC also picked it up. We defer to Snopes:

Posted by: sushiesque at Dec 31, 2005 10:07:53 AM

"How could that reader say they are fake photos? He has no heart."

Why does being in touch with reality preclude having heart? Try zooming in on the "photos." Looks phony to me.

Why are we rendered so helpless by cute animals in people clothes? Could you imagine an army of well-dressed penguins wiping us out because they're cute for us to retaliate?

Posted by: M Bentley at Dec 31, 2005 11:29:32 AM

Everyone, everyone. Stop, for a moment. Please, just listen.

I only have one thing to say.

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGS

Posted by: oboreruhito at Dec 31, 2005 4:05:30 PM

awww! Those are sooo cute, I want to knit sweaters for them.

Posted by: Isela at Jan 1, 2006 10:29:40 PM

photoshop m kay?

Posted by: bob at Jan 2, 2006 8:57:24 PM

The people saying this is fake are morons. Zooming in on the photos does no good since there is terrible JPG artifacting. Besides here is a link to the project that wanted penguin sweaters. So shut up.

Posted by: Antimental at Jan 4, 2006 1:58:38 PM

Looks like I'm the moron. I didn't notice the link to the project in the blog entry. I guess I should learn how to read but then again no one else bothered to see the link either.

Posted by: Antimental at Jan 4, 2006 1:59:53 PM

this is NOT fake. there have been MANY many articles in many newspapaers about this project. they are not knitting these sweaters to make them more anthropomorphic. the sweater project was launched because of oil spills. it prevents the penguins from preening themselves and dying. stop being so negative and maybe do a bit of research once in a while, ignorance can be embarrassing...

Posted by: s at Jan 8, 2006 2:45:05 PM

I was just on Bruny Island over Christmas; it requires a ferry ride from the Tasmanian mainland. We didn't get to see any Fairy Penguins in jumpers; in fact, we didn't see any penguins, because we didn't come at nightfall, when they walk back up the beach from feeding. The only penguin we saw was one by the side of the road that had been hit by a car. Very sad. Cheers for the project to build them an underpass!

Posted by: Kitt at Jan 9, 2006 4:54:58 PM

'tis real !
I live there. It was as a result of an oil spill although that was years ago, but the concept is sound - to provide thermal insulation lost from the damaging effects of oil on their feathers.

Posted by: morph at Jan 13, 2006 5:07:01 AM

These are indeed real. Back in the 80's I knitted several of these for the bird charities that were cleaning up after a spate of oil spillages/tanker collisons around the UK and further afield. I have the pattern still. They are used on other sea birds as well. A very worthwhile cause, and a good way of using up odds and ends.

Ofcourse, I'll have to dig out the pattern and do some more now, won't I? :) :)

Posted by: Sarah Dean at Feb 3, 2006 4:48:09 AM

This was an authentic project to save the Fairy Penguins. I personally knitted 3 sweaters, one red mohair w cables, and 2 pink & white mohair w pink ribbon woven around the neck and tied into a bow. This project was an imaginative solution to saving the wildlife, and I was happy to contribute. It cost me nothing except the postage, as I used yarn leftover from other projects, and it was a fun way to use my skills for a good cause!

Posted by: Gail Gondek at Feb 13, 2006 12:23:11 AM

this is true my grandmama knitted some, and i helped
adn did u know farrets eat fairy penguins? so horrible btw i am 9

Posted by: Pia at Jan 23, 2007 4:22:05 PM

In 1969 as a college student I cleaned and cried over many oil soaked ducks and birds after an oil spill in Tampa Bay. This is a real problem. The birds try to clean away the oil by preening only to die from it. The sweaters are as practical as they are cute. I may knit a few anyway. Careless oil tankers are likely to mess up the environment again.

Posted by: KT Erwin at Sep 14, 2007 1:12:07 AM